On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
> On 12/22/12 07:54, Friedrich Locke wrote:
>> But for other services i don't have now what i could use. A example: i need
>> a file system that must expand by adding more machine in the network in a
>> simple way.
>
> in plain English: "I'm not thinking out the design carefully, so I'm
> going to rely on fancy shit to haul my ass out of the fire when the
> predictable (and not so predictable) happens.

Yes and no. Yes, the design is important. No, I actually do have a
need for linear storage that can be easily expanded upon. I could use
a NetApp or similar setup, but then I can't throw more CPU at the
other side of the problem: using the stored data.

So the bigger problem isn't storage space (disk is cheap, after all),
rather than being able to slice and dice the data that's stored on the
system. Processing huge files is much easier when when you have a
dozen nodes to do it on.

I fully agree that being able to later extract and migrate away from
any storage solution is important. Along with that comes migration
paths to new hardware, software, and simple failure recovery (bad
disks, broken node, etc).

Big data takes quite a bit of planning, but it's gotten much easier.
Good thing I don't need to do this quickly...