On 13-11-15 04:17 AM, Andy wrote:
On 12/11/13 05:48, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
Two BGP sessions from different IPs (no CARP)
BGP next-hop pointing to CARP-protected IP

Hi Chris,
This sounds good.. Could you clarify further?

I can clarify for him, see below. (Apologies if he's already done it - I'm on the daily digest.)

Setup eBGP to the Transit router on both OBSD boxes using physical IPs, and iBGP between the OBSD routers. Got that working fine without 'depends on' (don't want the BGP teardown/setup delay.

Yup.

How are you configuring the BGP next-hop to the CARP IP??

"match to x.x.x.x set nexthop x.x.x.x"
"allow from any"
"allow to any"

Hi Adam,
The problem is to do with ensuring inbound packets always go to the CARP master.

That's what "set nexthop" does in BGP - it tells the *other* router what to use for its nexthop.

'match to X.X.X.161 set nexthop X.X.X.162' Wouldn't this only mean that the outbound packets would egress to the transit via the CARP IP? Its the inbound control that's needed.

Nope.  It's actually much more difficult to control the egress IP, AFAIK.

I was thinking about using ifstatd to dynamically change the MED / path prepending based on the CARP status, rather than trying to force which router is master. Experience says that fail-overs happen for many reasons (probably once every couple of months), but so far never because the master is actually dead, which means BGP will pretty much always be left running on the old master (unless ifstatd does something to it)..

With 'set nexthop', it's OK if the old BGP session stays up - packets will always come inbound to the CARP master. You don't need to do anything to bgpd or routing tables on the old box.

What you *might* have to do is use ifstated(8) to ensure that the "LAN" carp(4) interface always stays in sync with the "WAN" carp(4) interface. (i.e. router #1 being master for inside-facing while #2 is master for outside-facing will break pf(4).)

I just can't seem to figure out a true clean way of doing this without configuring multiple BGP attributes in OpenBGPd based on CARP status :(

I think that's only because you had the wrong end of the stick for the nexthop attribute.

PS; For inbound path control which would you recommend? MED or padding the AS path? I.e. is one potentially more responsive than another..

Neither!  Just "set nexthop" appropriately.

--
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net