On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:03:13AM -0700, Darren Spruell wrote:
> Wanted to verify my understanding that the included dhcpd(8) in base
> does not currently support the domain-search option:
>
> """
> option domain-search domain-list; The domain-search option specifies a
> 'search list' of Domain Names to be used by the client to locate
> not-fully-qualified domain names. The difference between this option
> and historic use of the domain-name option for the same ends is that
> this option is encoded in RFC1035 compressed labels on the wire. For
> example:
>
> option domain-search "example.com", "sales.example.com",
>                      "eng.example.com";
> """
>
> dhcpd.conf(5) and dhcp-options(5) don't mention the option.

option 119 (domain search, specified in rfc 3397) is not supported
in the base version of dhcpd.

One *could* provide it with the syntax

option-119 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn...

where you provide the appropriate hex digits to specify the contents
of the option. Not a nice solution. :-)

> I can currently override the search domains on clients, and it seems
> like it might be supported in isc-dhcp-server package. Anything likely
> to make it into base? Simply a matter of patch not having been
> submitted, or anything deeper than that?

Nothing deeper than that, as far as I know. Is option 119 in wide use as
far as you know?

.... Ken