Hey,

* Daniel Melameth <dan...@melameth.com> [2015-01-23 22:38]:
> I noticed the following when downloading a large file:
>
> queue tcp_ack parent root on fxp0 bandwidth 2M qlimit 50
>   [ pkts:     289461  bytes:   15631434  dropped pkts:     16 bytes:    864 ]
>   [ qlength:   0/ 50 ]
>   [ measured:  3660.9 packets/s, 1.58Mb/s ]
>
> While the number of dropped packets is very small and probably
> insignificant, I would have expected zero dropped packets as little
> else is competing for the ~12Mbps that's available in the parent
> queue/circuit.  I thought this might be related to qlength, but since
> this is, apparently, zero during the time of the download I'm not
> certain what would be causing this.  What might I be missing here and
> how do I resolve (I don't want to set a min here if it can be
> avoided).

First, get over the misconception that dropped packets are bad. The
opposite is almost true. With tcp, dropping a packet signals the sender
to slow down.

You're seeing the few dropped packets because your queue at some time
hit its limits.

Comparing an ever-growing counter (drops) with an averaged, somewhat
current rate can be very misleading.

> FWIW, net.inet.ip.ifq.drops=0.

100% unrelated.

--