* Peus, Christoph <christoph.p...@uni-wh.de> [2015-06-15 20:40]:
> I'm currently planning for a complete reorganization i.e. rewrite of a
> historically grown pf.conf of about 300 rules. Up to now each and every rule
> uses the "quick" keyword, which effectively turns the "last match" concept of
> pf into a "first match" one. Does that make any sense?

mostly a matter of personal preference. quick performs slightly better
obviously; I highly doubt w/ just 300 rules you'll even get a
measurable difference tho.

> Of course.. as evaluation stops at a matching rule with "quick" one may expect
> that the average time it takes to decide whether a packet is passed or blocked
> is significantly lower and therefore overall performance of pf will be better
> with always using "quick". But is this true?

depends on your definition of significant :)

> Does this make sense if the CPUs
> are idling most of the time? Are there any rules of thumb when to use "quick"
> and when to avoid it?

in general, don't worry too much about performance impact from the way
you write your rules. in 99+% of the cases pf is so efficient that it
doesn't matter anyway, and the ruleset optimizer, skip steps et al do
their job so that you can concentrate on a ruleset optimized for the
human dealing with it, not the machine.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services GmbH, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP