Hi misc,
I recently installed 6.8 on VM then applied errata patches.
When I tried to install git, it complained that git is not in the
packages-stable folder, I was pleasantly surprised. The
/etc/installurl by default is http://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD, and
I got error 503 on the site. Checking the default URL indicates it may
be down, same goes for Cloudflare CDN, Verizon seems working alright.
When I changed /etc/installurl to where I used to get packages:
http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/OpenBSD, it worked as expected.
This raised the following questions:
Does this mean when we apply errata patches, we're now automatically
using stable release and need to use stable packages?
Is it advisable to keep the /etc/installurl automatically default to
http://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD or should users be advised to
select packages from package sources geographically near them?
Please advise. Thanks and keep up the great work.