Do you have some actual reason to use gcc for that project instead of
clang ?...

as far as -L goes you've got a lot of choices, between linking directly to
the .so, linking with --nostdlib and putting back the pieces manually.

it's been a long time since I've last looked at gcc, we've moved to clang
a few years ago for the most part. gcc is mostly there for the legacy
architectures that do not have clang support.

Oh, I remember now, it's because of ld.ldd, the linker from clang.
see, that one does not link with /usr/lib by default, which tends to break
everything.

Note that you don't have to recompile gcc to change that: the specs file
is where the magic happens, and hey, you can specify a new one on the command
line, so you just need to copy and change.

But again: why gcc ?