On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:40:34PM -0700, Joe wrote:
> Problem: After updating to OpenBSD 3.9 stable, my system locks up
> whenever a dc interface is brought "up". This system has 5 network
> interfaces, one on-board (vr0), and a Phobos P430 Quad NIC
> (dc0,dc1,dc2,dc3). The vr0 interface works fine.
>
> At first, I could not get the system to finish booting up. It would hang
> at "starting network". I then removed the files:
>
> /etc/hostname.dc0
> /etc/hostname.dc1
> /etc/hostname.dc2
> /etc/hostname.dc3
>
> and the system boots up. However, when I do either:
>
> # ifconfig dc0 up
> # ifconfig dc1 up
> # ifconfig dc2 up
> # ifconfig dc3 up
>
> The system locks up.
>

> Here is the dmesg:
>
> OpenBSD 3.9-stable (GENERIC) #1: Sun Sep  3 11:32:26 PDT 2006
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: VIA Esther processor 1300MHz ("CentaurHauls" 686-class) 1.30 GHz
> XSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,SBF,SSE3,EST,TM2

<snip>
I have the same problem with this board:
cpu0: VIA Esther processor 1500MHz ("CentaurHauls" 686-class) 1.50 GHz
cpu0:
FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,SBF,SSE3,EST,TM2

The problem is not dc(4) specific, it seems the board can't handle pci
bridges, so far I tested dual nics: fxp, tl, sf, none of them seems to
work, they all lock up the box as soon as I up more than one of the
interfaces.

I even installed window$ in order to flash the bios, it looked up as
well with the dual nics inserted.

Since I need 3 interfaces (inet, lan, wlan) I went back to using a singe
nic, the onboard vge and an USB2.0 axe nic.
Everything works great now and I'm able to push ~70Mb/s hmac-md5-aes
IPSEC traffic with latest snapshots (GREAT! Thanks developers!).

Hope this will save you some time buying and testing other dual/quad
nics.

Regards,
ahb

p.s. IF you can resolve the problem (I wasn't able to), please let me
know!