On 2008-03-12, nicodache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 2008-03-11, nicodache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  > Now, the question is : is there any way to remotely (my box is in a
>>  > remote securized datacenter with double code) jump from raidframe to
>>  > softraid, as I've understood softraid was the future for OpenBSD ?
>>
>>  not without foreign metadata support in softraid.
>>
>>  as of 4.3, softraid is coming along nicely, but it doesn't have
>>  scrub/rebuild, it's not a full replacement for raidframe yet.
>>  at the moment, there are definitely situations where raidframe
>>  would just be able to reboot, where softraid would need manual
>>  intervention at the console (serial or otherwise).
>
> So, you advice me to stay with RaidFrame as long as softraid is not
> made the default raid driver, supporting automatic rebuild, nested
> raid, and all the things that make a raid driver sexy and pointless at
> some level ? ^^
>
> Thank you for your answer.

It's not exactly advice, just pointing out some things you need to
know so you can make your own decision. Personally I used ccd rather
than raidframe before (since using a non-GENERIC kernel wasn't very
appealing) and I'm using softraid instead of that now, working fine
for me but there have been times I've been glad I have a console
server. :-)