Chris,

Your /etc/bruteforce file will be read when pf loads its rules. Ip's added
to the "bruteforce" table through the overload directive will _not_ be
added to the /etc/bruteforce text file.

Can you see ips in the "bruteforce" table?

pfctl -t bruteforce -T show

If you want to dump those ips from the table to the text file you can
always do "pfctl -t bruteforce -T show >> /etc/bruteforce"

Hope this helps.

  OpenBSD Pf Firewall "how to" ( pf.conf )
  http://calomel.org/pf_config.html

--
  Calomel @ http://calomel.org
  Open Source Research and Reference