have a little via c7 machine for my home workstation and the audio chipset is detected as an azalia device

azalia0 at pci4 dev 1 function 0 "VIA HD Audio" rev 0x00: irq 5
azalia0: host: High Definition Audio rev. 1.0
azalia0: codec: VIA/0x1708 (rev. 5.0), HDA version 1.0

when i play music through xmms, i do hear it but it is pretty much washed out by a loud, constant, irritating tone that is substantially louder than the music itself. AFAICT there is nothing else outputting audio on the machine.

advice on how to do any of the following would be appreciated:

- determine if something on the machine is generating this sound
- stop the sound
- fix the driver

i took a glance over the commits to azalia.c azalia_codec.c and nothing popped out at me as an obvious fix.

cheers,
jake