Joe,

We have used a CARP firewall (two machines in failover and not
load balancing) in front of a dozen ftp servers. We use 12 different
ip addresses in total. One ftp-proxy for each CARP interface and
forwarding the traffic to one of the 12 backend ftp server. This works
fine.

  Ftp-Proxy (forward and reverse proxy)
  https://calomel.org/ftp_proxy.html

If you use one external ip and thus one CARP virtual device, you might
be able to use different external ports redirected to each ftp-proxy
daemon.  This might cause a bit of confusion depending on your users
and what clients they use. Clients normally expect ftp to be on port
21 of course.  vhosts would definitely be a welcome addition, but I am
not sure how this would be implemented.

Some problems you may see is when the CARP firewalls failover. The
ftp-proxy anchors are not inherited by the second BACKUP firewall.
Clients can just reconnect after the BACKUP firewall comes up. You may
also want to see if you can limit ftp connection to passive mode only.
This seems to help with some of the broken windows clients, though you
can use the "-r" argument in ftp-proxy to suit ancient clients.

If anyone has any other solutions I would also be interested in
hearing about them.

--
  Calomel @ https://calomel.org
  Open Source Research and Reference