Hello,
I know nothing/very little about OpenBSD or UNIX. I have been tasked with
updating our OpenBSD DNS server with a security fix (Vulnerability Note
VU#800113- Multiple DNS implementations vulnerable to cache poisoning).

In order to do this it appears that I have to download the source code
re-compile the entire OS. Recompiling the OS seems to involve a lot of steps.
Before I continue to read through them all, I just want to confirm that it is
actually necessary to do all of this, simply to apply a security patch:

Down load the tree..
Pre load the tree..
Build the Kernel..
Build the userland..
Etc.

The only thing we use the server for is DNS. I dont know what flavor we are
running, since its on a production server I assume it will be * release or *
stable, either way from what Ive read so far it looks like in order to apply
this security patch I will have to update it to * stable, which seems to
require that the entire OS be recompiled. Is this correct?

Is it true that the only way to apply this patch is to recompile the entire
OS, and go through all the steps above? I dont mind doing all this since it
will give me a chance to learn, its just that the more steps I have to take,
the more chances there are for mistakes. I want to be sure that the way I plan
to do the update is the simplest. Im only familiar with Windows, where you
just push a button to apply a security patch and you dont even have to reboot
the server, so I was thinking that I may be misunderstanding what Im
reading.

Thanks very much for your time and any info

Kyle