On Wednesday 15 October 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I installed all of the relevant KDE packages and set it to start at
> boot time with KDM and it worked fine initially, for a couple days.
> Without my changing anything in particular, the equivalent of the
> windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen became blank. The usual
> launch menu and boxes symbolizing minimized programs are gone but the
> bar is still there, it's just solid grey. This is true both when I
> login as root and as myself.

First of all, please wrap text at 72 char for mailing list posts as
described in:  http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

As for your problem, you've obviously changed something important, such
as a default configuration of KDE. The only other realistic possibility
is your hard drive is failing and said default configuration files
cannot be read.

The third, and least likely, option is you've made the same exact
configuration mistake on both user accounts.

You should try disabling KDM, creating a new user, logging in as new
user into the default ksh shell, and then launching kde manually with
`startkde`

If the problem persists, then you've somehow hosed the main kde kicker
configuration file, or it cannot be read properly from disk.
/usr/local/share/config.kcfg/kickerSettings.kcfg

Possibly, you've set kicker (the above file) to be "Locked" ?

<entry name="Locked" type="Bool" >
      <label>When this option is enabled, the panels may not be moved
and items cannot be removed or added</label>
      <default>false</default>
   </entry>

A possible solution to fix errant changes would be to
1.) uninstall KDE packages
2.) check to make sure the packages uninstalled cleanly (i.e. all
installed package files were deleted properly).
3.) Remove any KDE user configuration (~/.kde)
4.) reinstall KDE packages.

NOTE: if you're using kmail, deleting your ~/.kde directory will wipe
out all your mail.

Good Luck,
JCR