On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:55:35 +0100 Owain Ainsworth
<zer...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 05:27:26PM -0500, Chris Bennett wrote:
> > I am glad to see someone else agreeing that rm-ing xenocara and
> > getting it again is a good choice.
> > I had to build a few debugging versions and I found the instructions
> > for getting it clean to use again extremely confusing.
> > I was concerned I would get it wrong and mess everything new up.
>
> To get a completely clean tree with nothing unrecognised by cvs,
> assuming that no files known by cvs are corrupted (do not do this if
> you have testing drivers in the tree that are not related to cvs). If
> it breaks, you keep the pieces.
>
> $ cvs up | grep ^\? | tr -d '\?' | xargs rm -rf
> $ cvs up # just in case
>
> Those who are better at awk than I could come up with something
> shorter, I bet.

For me at least, the problem is not 'unrecognized' files, instead it is
*modified* files. With "XENOCARA_RERUN_AUTOCONF=Yes" set in mk.conf,
half the damn tree is molested by gnu autoshit resulting supposedly
"modofied" files.

Since the `cvs up -C` flag is currently broken in both gnu cvs and
opencvs (BUG: user/6363 -- copies modified files rather than moving
them out of the way and fetching a fresh copy from cvs, resulting in
a merge "M" rather than "U" update/fetch of the now missing file), there
is no way to simply overwrite the modified files.

Anyhow, whether or not '-C' works, you'd still be refetching half (or
more) of the xenocara tree since a vast portion of it is gnu autoshit
files which have been modified.

As for building a lot quicker by not setting XENOCARA_RERUN_AUTOCONF,
well, then you would not be testing to make sure gnu autoshit is still
working properly. In short, it's a no-win situation.

--
The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org