On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:03:39 -0500 Marco Peereboom <sl...@peereboom.us>
wrote:

> I need a umsm dongle that works in the USA.  Can someone tell me
> exactly what device and what network provider they use?
>
> Preferably with some config scripts so that I can get an idea how they
> work.

This is just for the archives.

I've been meaning to upgrade my EVDO Rev.0 Kyocera KPC650 to something
that supports EVDO Rev.A and this was the perfect excuse to get it done.

The device I wanted to buy was the ZTC AD3700 (a.k.a "Verizon AD3700")
since internally it has the Qualcomm GOBI 1000 chipset. Unfortunately,
none of the local stores had it in stock. The local (corporate not
reseller) Verizon store had some at their warehouse, but they wouldn't
sell me any hardware without also buying a(nother) two year contract.
Bastards!

I settled on getting a Pantech UMW190 (a.k.a. "Verizon UMW190") from
another store since it also has a GSM sim slot and hsdp support.

As usual, the UMW190 had to be "activated" in ms-windows, but after
that, it "Just Works" in OpenBSD. It comes up as a umodem(4) device
with attached ucom(4) in 4.7-current, and the previously posted ppp.conf
works without changes.

If I find the time, I'll probably go on a knob turning spree in ppp.conf
to see what I can make it do, but it's already faster than the EVDO
Rev.0 device it replaced.

        jcr

--
The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org