On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 03:44:38AM +0200, Guillaume Duali wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 17:27, Guillaume Duali wrote:
> >On my laptop, I install the latest iso file downloaded here :
> >ftp://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/install48.iso
> >
> >And with it, the acpi is bugged.
> >If I do a classic boot, the machine shutdown after 10 seconds saying :
> >"Oct  1 16:38:15 laptop /bsd: acpitz0: Critical temperature 255C
> >(5282K), shutting down"
> >
> >If I do a boot disabling the acpi (thanks to pea), then my machine work
> >fine, but the battery is not correctly managed :
> ># apm
> >Battery state: unknown, 0% remaining, 0 minutes life estimate
> >A/C adapter state: not known
> >Performance adjustment mode: manual (1663 MHz)
> >
> >If I start "apmd -A", nothing appends and in /var/log/message, I
> >can see :
> >Oct  1 17:23:46 laptop apmd: cannot open device file `/dev/apmctl':
> >Operation not supported by device
> >I suppose that is due to acpi is disabled.
> >
> >My version of OpenBSD is :
> >Oct  1 16:44:30 laptop /bsd: OpenBSD 4.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #402: Wed
> >Sep 29 23:51:39 MDT 2010
> >
> >I made a "acpidump" : http://otasc.org/openbsd/acpidump.tgz
> >
> >Here is my "/var/log/messages" file : http://otasc.org/openbsd/messages
> >
> >Here is my (strange) dmesg :
> ># dmesg
<garbage>

On some machines, the dmesg buffer is not cleared at boot, which makes
it possible to see (part of) the dmesg from the previous boot - very
useful if the previous boot crashed.

In this case, OpenBSD mistakenly believes your dmesg buffer to be valid.
Don't worry about it.

> >OpenBSD 4.8-current (GENERIC.MP) #402: Wed Sep 29 23:51:39 MDT 2010
> >    dera...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP
> >cpu0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz ("GenuineIntel" 686-class)
> >1.67 GHz
> >cpu0:
> >FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,A
> >
> >CPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,SBF,SSE3,MWAIT,DS-CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR
> >
> >,PDCM,MOVBE
> >real mem  = 2146594816 (2047MB)
> >avail mem = 2101448704 (2004MB)
> >User Kernel Config
> >UKC> disable acpi
> >473 acpi0 disabled
> >UKC> quit
> >Continuing...
> >mainbus0 at root
> >bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 04/09/10, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf0010,
> >SMBIOS rev. 2.6 @ 0xf0740 (30 entries)
> >bios0: vendor American Megatrends Inc. version "0401" date 04/09/2010
> >bios0: ASUSTeK Computer INC. 1201PN
> >acpi at bios0 function 0x0 not configured
> >root on sd0a swap on sd0b dump on sd0b
> >
> >Note : With OpenBSD 4.7, the apm work fine execpt the suspend to ram is
> >not working.

Well, suspend not working is to be expected with 4.7.

> >Thanks a lot for your help :)
> >And tell me if you want some other tracs or tests.

> Hi there,
> someone have a idea ?
> I can open an SSH connexion to my laptop for a dev if you want to
> try something...
> 4.8 is pretty to go out, so it will be nice if we can say "Yeah ASUS
> EEe 1201pn works with !" :-)

I have no idea how to solve this, but note that you can just disable
acpitz instead of acpi - you probably won't be able to get CPU
temperature from hw.sensors and I don't know if the machine still shuts
down if it gets too hot, but you can still suspend etc.

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: CORE (3p) - Pseudo-namespace for Perl's core routines
http://www.joachimschipper.nl/