Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> it looks like I am really too stupid for this to build. I manage to
> build the openjdk, but the mlvm.... I spend another full day just on
> trying getting this run :(

I try to answer all your questions.

> I was too fast the last time, I think I did build the jvm without the
> patches. Anyway, the documentation I found and that John linked works so
> far, but once the setup is supposedly done, it ends. The documentation
> is not for making a build, it is for people writing patches.
>
> For example a very simple question... do I need to "make" in ./sources
> first or in ./patches. What I did before was running make in patches,
> overseeing the error, because it is writing that the build was
> successful at the same time, then build in sources and I assume the
> changes were not done or overwritten.

A "make" in patches/make/ should set up the .hg/patches/ links in
sources/ to the patches/ forest.  A "hg fstatus" in sources/ should show
you, besides the normal JDK forest repositories, the additional patches
repositories, e.g.:

twi...@macbook:~/mlvm/sources$ hg fst
[.]

[/Users/twisti/mlvm/patches/hotspot]

[/Users/twisti/mlvm/patches/jdk]

[/Users/twisti/mlvm/patches/langtools]
<snip>

To see if the patches are applied before you build do e.g.:

twi...@macbook:~/mlvm/sources/hotspot$ hg qapplied
meth.patch
indy.patch

> So I assume the right order is to first run the build in sources and
> then in patches... ah well, while trying that I found a few problems,
> because I have to set ALT_HOTSPOT_SERVER_PATH and
> ALT_HOTSPOT_IMPORT_PATH. But there is no documentation on those and I
> gave it really several tries to guess the right once. In the end I maybe
> managed, but I am not sure. What are those supposed to be pointing too?
> Or is having have to set them a sign that I do something wrong?
> Anyway... it is really annoying to have to check several pages of make
> output for an error line... isn't there a way to prevent make doing
> several jobs at the same time and to let it stop at the error then? I
> always thought one make job at the same time is default anyway...

The only thing you have to set to build a JSR 292 capable JDK is (IIRC,
as I set ALT_SLASH_JAVA):

ALT_BOOTDIR

> At last the sanity check done by patches shouldn't report "Sanity check
> passed." if something has a /NOT-SET/re/, because all of these variables
> seem to have to be set. So I found two more: ALT_BUILD_JDK_IMPORT_PATH
> and ALT_JDK_IMPORT_PATH. Again no docu I could find... maybe
> ALT_JDK_IMPORT_PATH is enough... well setting it let go of the error
> message at the end.. I suppose I did set some surplus variables too then.
>
> And after all that trouble... it still does not work, I get still the
> same internal error. Btw, how do I tell that I want a debug version?
> without debug symbols the reporting on internal errors isn't very great.

A "make help" in sources/ gives you a list of targets and one of the
targets is:

debug_build

Hope that helps.

-- Christian