On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 04:39:46PM +0000, Bruce Johnson wrote:
> I have a question about using both QMI and the serial interface with
> ModemManager.
>
> I had little difficulty getting ModemManager's SimpleModem to connect to
> T-Mobile (USA) using a Quectel EG25-G, but we found that modem wasn't
> compatible with AT&T and/or a private APN used by one of our customers. We
> were advised to use the Quectel EC25, and after engaging both Quectel and
> AT&T, we were told that we need to insert the APN into the modem using an AT
> command, AT+CGDCONT=1,"IPV4V6","mcm.com.attz". I had to tweak the kernel
> config and the ModemManager build.
>
> Mods:
>
>   *   I built ModemManager 1.18.4 with --with-at-command-via-dbus.
>   *   In the kernel config, I added USB Serial Converter support -> USB
> driver for GSM and CDMA modems.
>
> After I did this, the /dev/ttyUSB[1-4] files showed up, and I was able to
> issue AT commands using ModemManager, but while the modem would sort-of
> connect with SimpleModem's connect method -- I am getting a Bearer, and mmcli
> shows "connected" -- I receive no IP address information from the carrier.
> Port wwan0 is showing up as "ignored". (mmcli output below)
>
> The Quectel docs also said to patch the kernel a certain way to allow use of
> serial and the QMI_WWAN driver, but wwan0 is still ignored.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> Chantilly, Virginia
> USA

I will stand corrected in case - but...
I don't think you need AT commands via d-bus to do this, but giving the APN via
QMI somehow, depending on the object or method you use to connect.
That said, you probably won't need qmi_wwan_q or whatever - the stock qmi_wwan
driver from kernel, and "option" for serial should suffice.

For some reason you have wwan0 (gnored) in your output which doesn't sound
right. I would try to look at it/fix it first.

Enrico