On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Something related to a recent (few weeks ago?) discussion of session
> information passing ...
>
> This thread is more of a social content, but worth reading...
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/10/22/0249212&mode=thread
>
> It provides more details why people block cookies, which makes developer's
> life harder if "cookie" was chosen as a courier of session passing...
>
> It talks heavely about DoubleClick, something that probably of the most
> interest to the ad "manufacturers" among us (Hi Ask and Nick :)

Actually we don't use cookies much any more. We have a custom Apache
module written for us by Tim Berners-Lee that retrieves the serial number
from a user's CPU, as well as their Microsoft Windows registration number
from their hard disk.

By matching these numbers to the same numbers on their ATM check card, we
can see what they have actually spent money on over the last 30 days, and
thus are able to target the banner ads to the user based on their actual
purchases.

Remember -- just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody's not out
to get you.

Nick

Nick Tonkin
Senior Programmer