If you may use PostgreSQL as a database engine,
there is an OpenFTS (openfts.sourceforge.net).
I'm one of the author, so I'm biased a little bit,
but we have successfully use it in many projects with
close integration with mod_perl (Mason).

        regards,

                Oleg
On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Grant Babb wrote:

> >all-
> >
> >         In our migration to open-source solutions, I have been asked to
> > suggest a solution for our knowledge base.  We have found that a
> > well-indexed text search is really a more effective way to go, but I was
> > hoping for some suggestions from this list on some mod_perl based
> > projects or apache modules that might do the the trick.  PHP is OK too i
> > guess, but when it comes to both fast lookups and text manipulation,
> > mod_perl/mySQL seemed like the obvious way to go.
> >
> >thanks in advance for the input,
> >grant
> >
> >Grant Babb                      Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Data Junction Corporation       Phone: (512) 459-1308
> >2201 Northland Dr.              Fax: (512) 459-1309
> >Austin, TX 78756-1117           Web: http://www.datajunction.com
> >

> Grant Babb                      Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Data Junction Corporation       Phone: (512) 459-1308
> 2201 Northland Dr.              Fax: (512) 459-1309
> Austin, TX 78756-1117           Web: http://www.datajunction.com

        Regards,
                Oleg
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83