  From: Jeff Herdan
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:02 PM
  Subject: [MOPO] Off Topic: A Question about Tom Mix

  Hi,

  I am a collector of 30s and 20s western posters and lobbies.  Had to move to
TC lobbies because I ran out of wall space!  I try to read up about my
'heroes'..

  Can't read the papers anymore, they only cover that golfer!

  Anyway here's my question.  I was reading about Tom Mix and I read that his
daughter, Ruth who traveled quite extensively with him when he had his circus,
and appeared to be very close to her father was directly excluded from his
will.  Specifically, Bobby Copland, a very well respected western historian
wrote that included in the Tom Mix Will was the following:

  "Tom left his lawyer of 25 years, Ivon D. Parker, his horse Tony and all his
riding equipment, guns, and western clothing used in his motion picture work,
and all his trophies. The rest of the estate was divided equally between the
actor's widow, Mabel Hubbell Mix, and one of his daughters, Thomasina Mix
Mathews, 19, for whom the will provided a monthly income of $500 until she
reaches the age of 25, when she is to receive her share of the principal. Mix
disinherited his four former wives and his other daughter, Ruth Mix Knight. "I
declare I have been previously married", the will stated. "I do not desire any
of my former wives or my said daughter, Ruth Mix, now known as Ruth Mix Knight,
in any wise participate in this will."

  Would anyone of my fellow MOPOers know why he included such a drastic measure
against his daughter?

  Just asking..