----- Original Message -----
From: Niklas Matthies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: [MP3 ENCODER] Normalize audio input

> But wouldn't a lame-integrated normalization (i.e. scaling of the sample
> values) improve quality over a seperately done normalization, because the
> intermediate results would be floating-point instead of 16bit (or lesser)
> integer? I think that a simple scaling option in lame would be useful
(i.e.
> something like --pre-scale <scalefactor>).

Good point here. If I'm not too wrong, a kind of normalization can be done
by just changing the
scalefactor value. In this case, such an option would not change the
encoding process. Lame could encode each frame as usual, but could change
this value during the frame packaging. I think this should not interfere
much with the main goal of Lame, wich is mp3 encoding.

so cd-rippers could just do a first pass to look at the audio level (I think
Lame shouldn't have to do such things itself) and just add the proper
setting when calling Lame.
A similar thing could be done in the case of down-encoding for streaming.

Regards,

--

Gabriel Bouvigne - France
[EMAIL PROTECTED]