Master A has Slave 1 and Slave 2
Master B has Slave 3 and Slave 4

Master A is ahead of Master B, and Master A goes down, we want to
repoint Slave 3 and Slave 4 to Master B.  Since the data is large, we
don't want to do a fresh resync of Slave 3 and 4 from scratch.  And A
and B may not have been updated at the same time (or in same order), so
their binary logs won't be in same order (so it's not as simple as
saying go to the last position you were in when your Master died on your
new master and continue from there).

>>> I am not sure that I understand what you mean by repoint slave 3 and slave 4 when
>>> Master B is already behind than Master A. is it a typo mistake.

Anyway, you can implement Heart beat mechanism at master level and run it every min or
30 sec whatever you like. You can take a look at replication chapter from Jeremy book.

http://dev.mysql.com/books/hpmysql-excerpts/ch07.html

Regards,