> I would like to add my support for NO DEFAULT.  The lack of this feature
> is by far the worst thing about MySQL.
> I don't get this argument.  What happens when a unique index is
> violated?  Isn't this the same problem?

Those two comments together are quite interesting.
Can you enlighten me with an example where you can't add just one line of
code before the call to do exactly that.

Understand also that the check for a uniq index has to be made by a call to
the DB so it makes sense the DB does it, but a check on the content of a
variable can be made by one line of code without any call to the db.
In php, which is what he is using, you can just write
if($variable1 and $variable2) { makeyourcall }

There are many features in MySQL that cannot be solved so easily, so I am
really interested in your view that this is the worst thing about MySQL.
I must be missing something that is why I would love a situation example from
you.