On Jul 15, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Chris Waters wrote:

You could do something like this:

Replace the paths to reflect your environment.

tail -f /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log | perl -pe
's/(\d+)/localtime($1)/e'
   or
grep 'something important to look for'
somelogfilewithepochtimestamps.log | perl -pe 's/(\d+)/localtime($1)/ e'
   or
perl -pe 's/(\d+)/localtime($1)/e'  somelogfilewithepochtimestamps.log

Thank you! This is (for me at least) a much better approach than the one specified in the FAQ, in that I can (as in your first example) use it with tail -f for real-time monitoring when testing stuff. Any chance of getting this approach incorporated into the FAQ's?
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd