On Jan 25, 2014, at 13:59 , Sander Steffann <san...@steffann.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Yeah, its been a while since I had to get involved in this.  We have a
>> customer with their own IPv4 allocation that wants us to announce a /27 for
>> them. Back in "the day", it was /24 or larger or all bets were off.  Is
>> that still the case now?
>
> This is still the case today.
>
> I wonder what will change (if anything) when ARIN runs out of IPv4 space.
> Geoff's current predictions say Feb 2015, but I wouldn't be surprised if it
> turns out to be sooner than that. But, when that happens ARIN will only have
> the 'Dedicated IPv4 block to facilitate IPv6 Deployment' [1] left, and it
> will use 'a minimum size allocation of /28 and a maximum size allocation of
> /24' for that block. The block is meant for things like dual stacked DNS
> servers, NAT64 and other IPv6 deployments where a bit of IPv4 is still
> necessary.
>
> I wonder how reachable those systems will be... Will people adjust their
> filters, or will most usage of this block (and thereby all new entrants in
> the ISP market in the ARIN region) just be doomed?

That's actually may not be the best question. That block will come from within
a specific prefix and I suspect that ISPs and the like will adjust their
filters FOR THAT PREFIX.

Consider the possibility of a policy change which allows the transfer of
smaller blocks (current ARIN policy limits this to /24 minimum, but ARIN policy
is not immutable, we have a policy development process so that anyone who wants
to can start the process of changing it.)

Owen