From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Mac Doktor
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 4:49 PM
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [neonixie-l] Speaking of the IV-17...

I've never gotten into VFDs. Unlike Nixies they've been around all my life.
There's one in the microwave oven sitting in our kitchen right now!

After the recent discussion about IN-23 prices it suddenly occurred to me to
take a second look at the IV-4/IV-17. The idea of having a dozen or more of
them in a row and watching text scroll by in Cyrillic, Roman,
Klingon—whatever—is tantalizing. I took a look on eBay and...wow, they're still
really cheap!

There are lots of clocks etc. available but what I really want is that
ticker-tape effect.

I'm coming late to the party. What's available that fits the bill? I'm
interested in something that's just the PC boards and software. I don't need a
nice enclosure. I'd also like to be able to control it from something with a
higher-level language than PIC or AVR assembler. The Arduino is an obvious
choice but that's just one possibility.

I'll also ask for the moon: something that doesn't require soldering any
surface mount components.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"
https://www.astarcloseup.com/

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it
said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl
Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980

neonixie-l+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:neonixie-l+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/F895CB3F-1318-42BA-884F-07EAAF31D207%40gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/F895CB3F-1318-42BA-884F-07EAAF31D207%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.