From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Bill Stanley
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 7:00 PM
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: Sourcing Panaplex Displays (SP-252)

It may depend on the Heathkit clock you have. I have the original GC-1005 that
uses the SP-352 tubes just fine. I do note that the 353 displays have more pins
than sockets (pin bent out of the way) so perhaps the 352 is a superset of the
252. In the manual on page 20 it indicates that your display may have 2 extra
pins that are simply bent out of the way.

In terms of available parts, I ordered 2 from ebay at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S2T5-Beckman-SP-352-Gas-Discharge-2-Digits-7-segment-Display/233339783749

Note that they do not test or indicate that they will work  "Sold as none (sic)
working units, for parts"
One display worked fine while the other one had a metal "blob" in the middle of
the E segment. It displays only 1/2 of that segment. YMMV

The good news is that current capacitors are smaller and probably have longer
life than the original. You will probably want to replace C203 (2x20 uF 350V)
and C204 (1200 uF 25V).
DigiKey would be a good source to check.

  -Bill-

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 5:20:48 PM UTC-7