From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Richard Scales
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2022 9:42 PM
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Nixie Clock - Direct Drive HV5530

I've used HV5522 and HV5622 a lot without any issue - I always use a CD40109B
level shifter to convert from 3v3V or 5V to 12V (I know many do not).

In Arduino Land there is a function called ShiftOut which does all the required
clocking - it's for 8 bits as standard but can easily be re-worked for however
many bits you want.

I have one clock with 4 x HV5522 in series for which I made a 128 bit ShiftOut
function.

See here for details of the shiftout process: Arduino shiftOut(): Control chips
with a 3 wire Serial Interface.
(best-microcontroller-projects.com)<https://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/arduino-shiftout.html#:~:text=Arduino%20shiftOut%20is%20a%20purely%20software%20implementation%20of,data%20input%20%28the%20equivalent%20software%20function%20is%20shiftIn%29.>

It's an interesting page with scope traces to help explain.

Ultimately I moved over to using SPI transfers which are driven purely by the
processor but the theory is all very similar.

- Richard