Opto-triacs seemed to work fine for my segment driver setup (which I think
is essentially the same as Richard's). I would also be interested in the
details of the power supply you put together. The Adafruit "blue" EL power
supply <https://www.arrow.com/en/products/448/adafruit-industries> I used
is essentially a black (blue?  :-)) box and I'd love to replace it with
something I understand better and have built myself.