On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:10:02 GMT, Daniel Jeliński <djelin...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> This patch fixes the encoding of IPv6 addresses in the URI provided to
> ProxySelector.
>
> The original code percent-encoded the square brackets added around the IPv6
> addresses, producing URIs that could not be parsed correctly.
>
> The proposed code does not percent-encode the IPv6 addresses at all.
>
> Added a test to verify that different forms of addresses are processed
> correctly. The test verifies the handling of IPv4 addresses, IPv6 without
> scope, IPv6 with numeric scope, IPv6 with textual scope (only if present on
> the machine running tests), hostnames and FQDNs
>
> Tier1-3 tests passed.

Reading this makes me wonder if there are cases where
ProxySelector.getDefault() returns null? I had thought we would only have a
ProxySelector on macOS or when there is configuration but it looks like
sun.net.spi.DefaultProxySelector will always be loaded. Do I read this
correctly? The reason for asking is that I'm surprised the modified code is
used for the common case, I expected it would only be used when there is
configuration.

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16265#issuecomment-1772231280