Andrei> Let me put it this way. I do the followings:
Andrei> 1. stop snmptrapd
Andrei> 2. edit /var/net-snmp/snmptrapd.conf to have
Andrei> createUser -e myengineID username MD5 authpass DES privpass

Andrei> myengineID = 0xbd224466 , I tried values even bigger, but still had the
Andrei> same result
Andrei> 3. start snmptrapd
Andrei> 4. snmpinform or snmptrap for this user doesn't work, I try this with
Andrei> the cmd:
Andrei> snmp{trap|inform} -e myengineID -v 3  -u username -a MD5 -A authpass -l
Andrei> authPriv -x DES -X privpass localhost 42 coldStart.0

Andrei> =>
Andrei> snmptrap: USM unknown security name (no such user exists) (Sub-id not
Andrei> found: (top) -> coldStart)

Ok...  I misdiagnosed the problem.  The problem is that snmptrap
itself is complaining that the user doesn't exist, not the agent which
is what I originally thought.

I do suspect a new bug.

I'm going to bet it stems from the delayed engineid probing introduced
a while ago.  sigh.

It is definitely a new bug.  It works in 5.1.x code, but not 5.2.x...

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.