On 06/22/2016 03:56 PM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Eric Dumazet <eric.duma...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2016-06-22 at 14:52 -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
Had the bnx2x-driven NICs' firmware not had that rather unfortunate
assumption about MSSes I probably would never have noticed.

It could be that you and Rick are running different firmware. I
believe you can expose that via "ethtool -i".  This is the ugly bit
about all this.  We are offloading GRO into the firmware of these
devices with no idea how any of it works and by linking GRO to LRO on
the same device you are stuck having to accept either the firmware
offload or nothing at all.  That is kind of the point Rick was trying
to get at.

I think you are typing a bit too far ahead into my keyboard with that last sentence. And I may not have been sufficiently complete in what I wrote. If the bnx2x-driven NICs' firmware had been coalescing more than two segments together, not only would I probably not have noticed, I probably would not have been upset to learn it was NIC-firmware GRO rather than stack.

My complaint is the specific bug of coalescing only two segments when their size is unexpected, and the difficulty present in disabling the bnx2x-driven NICs' firmware GRO. I don't have a problem necessarily with the existence of NIC-firmware GRO in general. I just want to be able to enable/disable it easily.

rick jones

Of course, what I really want are much, Much, MUCH larger MTUs. It isn't for nothing that I used to refer to TSO as "Poor man's Jumbo Frames" :)