> You are starting off on the wrong foot.

???

 > > +if(!(expr)) {
 > >                                                 \
 > > +  printk(KERN_ERR PFX "Assertion failed! %s, %s, %s, line %d\n",  \
 > > +             #expr, __FILE__, __FUNCTION__, __LINE__);
 > >         \
 > > +}
 >
 > Use BUG_ON

I agree that there's no need to invent a driver-private assertion
macro, but (to first order at least) drivers should never use BUG_ON.
I don't want some glitch in a network driver that the system could
probably survive to be turned into a panic by BUG_ON -- WARN_ON seems
infinitely preferable.

 - R.