Ivan, I disagree with the v2 change. I think your original intention
was just to log a message when the link goes up or down
asynchronously (i.e., without any user intervention.)
After alerting the user, if the user wants to know other link
properties like speed, duplex etc then the ethtool cmd needs
to be used; there is no need to log a message with those details.