* Pavel Simerda

> But unfortunately we need to be a little bit careful about the theory
> written down on paper and the actual needs. Linux has the long
> history of allowing more than just blind following of what's written
> down. And I'm not the only person who repeatedly proved that IPv6
> standards are not yet mature and that some of the requirements and
> suggestions don't lead to good network experience.
>
> So it appears to be my view against the details written down in one
> of the very RFCs and I'm indeed going to speak up my concerns with
> the IETF as well (and the list of those is quite big).

The number of ways in which you can use Linux to violate published
standards are probably near-infinite. But just because you can, doesn't
mean you should.

While you are of course completely free to spend your time implementing
NetworkManager support for some link-local-free IPv6-ish protocol, and
to pursue IETF standardisation of this new protocol, I would find it sad
to see development effort being wasted in such a way when there are no
shortage of actually useful IPv6-related things to fix and/or implement
in NM; IPv6 support on mobile broadband, IPv6 support in applicable VPN
plugins, correct handling of RA lifetimes, and so on.

Tore