Title: RE: [newbie] Mandrake 9.0 installation hangs

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John Rye
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 11:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake 9.0 installation hangs

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:26:01 -0600
Marc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 12/16/02 9:14:29 PM, Dennis Myers
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> >  Th 60GB Western Digital HDD was formated with windoze
> 98 SE installed. I first tried installing 9.0 for a dual boot the
> standard way by just useing the Mandrake installation disc
> and that was the first time that the installation hung. Next I
> installed Partion Magic on windoze and put in a 30 GB free
> space partition to install mandrake 9.0 on and tried again ,
> same result, then tried 8.2 and again same result. I then
> tried 8.1 and that installed with no problems, Great I
> thought!!  I then tried to upgrade to 8.2 and 9.0 and again the
> same hang on both.
>
>      Thanks for giving it a shot though
>
>      Marc

Marc

I'm very late coming in on this.

There was some major discussion way back in the days of 8.2 being
developed on Western Digital drives. Memory is a little faded but as I
recall the problem was to do with the method in which the data was
written to the media ?? sans CRC I think.

Do you have another brand drive to test with?

For my part, Santa came early and I have a new beast to play with.

PCChips M825ULR,
AthlonXP 1.8,
256Mb Ram,
GeForce2 MX 32mb,
Seagate ST34081A hdd
LG DVD-ROM DRD-8160B - dvdrom
LG CDRW GCE-8240B - cdrw

It will NOT accept a 9.0 install! It boots to first splash screen off
either drive or floppy bootdisk without hesitation, but crashes at about
80% of the progress bar when I try to start the install process
regardless of what parameters I append (noapic etc).

However, 8.2 download and propak versions install without problems.

Go figure!! I'll stick with 8.2 for the time being!!

Cheers

John
One last piece of input here, Linux Journal had an inquiry about the install stall, and the guru answer was that DMA setting for the hard drive should be checked in bios, an incorrect setting can cause the install hang in any distro. For what it is worth. Maybe the CDROM is set wrong for DMA also?  Somebody elses $.02. : )  Dennis M.