On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 17:57, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 04:10, Chuck Stuettgen wrote:
> > Anyone know how to increase the maximum number of print jobs under
> > LPRNG and Samba to something above 1000?
> >
> > We need to be able to spool 6000 print jobs to a queue that is in a
> > HOLDALL status.  When the spool gets to 1000 it starts discarding the
> > printjobs.
> >
> > I have increased both the "Max Print Jobs" and "Total Print Jobs"
> > parameters in the smb.conf to ridiculously high numbers and restarted
> > samba and the testparm command shows the new settings, but the jobs
> > are still being discarded...
>
> Any print job is going to be temporarily held in the /var directory -
> first, how much space is on /var ?

The system was built specifically to be a print server to service one
HP9000 printer.  It has a 20GB hard drive with three partitions

/boot = 100MB
/swap = 768MB
/ = rest of drive

The spool directory is /var/spool/lpd/hp9000

Each print job varies between 800k and 1 MB.  Assuming all jobs were 1MB
then total space needed is only about 6GB so there should be more than
enough space for the 6000 print jobs.

> Another thing to think about is what "backend" is it using - CUPS?
> LPRNG? - you might need to address the backend driver for that.

The back end is LPRng. CUPS does not support Hold queues.

> So, between the actual printer memory, space on /var and the backend
> driver, you should be able to get the printer to spool as much as you
> want...

Printer memory is not an a factor.  The print queue is set with a
HOLDALL status.  This means the jobs go to queue and stay there until
they are manually released by an operator.

Samba has a default setting of a maximum 1000 print jobs per queue.
You can see this by running the following command:

testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf.

You can override default setting by adding Max Print Jobs = xxxxxx to your smb.conf
file which I have done but the queue still will not hold more than 1000 print jobs.

--------

Until I can figure out how to get the queue to hold more than 1000 print jobs, I have
created 5 additional hold queues all servicing the same printer and we have
modified the script that creates the print jobs to the spread the jobs among all the
queues.