September 23, 2003 04:30 pm, Merlin Zener wrote:

> Hi Charlie.
> I emailed you offlist to apologize but it bounced; I hope you don't mind
> me taking this opportunity to do it publicly.
> [for those that missed it, or came in late, I sent a rather hasty reply
> to one of Charlie's answers - I wasn't pi**ed off as I wrote it, but on
> re-reading it in the archives I could easily see how it could have been
> taken that way.]
> So, sorry once again Charlie.

Nothing to apologize for, and thank you for the consideration for. I expect
people to yell at me occasionally and since I'm divorced I don't have a live
in yell source. <g>

I just don't know why it bounced. I don't have anybody other than the "mad
Russian" (no user named newbie) filtered to bounce. Interesting.

> In my case, I've had Mandrake on this machine for a while [and I
> wouldn't have been able to get it installed without this list] but I
> haven't actually tried to do anything with it until recently. I got
> connected using Linux [again, with help from this list] a few weeks
> back, but when I really think about the actual amount of "contact time"
> in front of the computer I think it would really only total about 30
> hours tops. So maybe I'm impatient and possibly have unrealistic
> expectations. Typical newbie?

I do remember the thread, I think we both need to start using more smiley
faces. Sorry about that. I did apologize for causing you grief though,
remember?

> Maybe it all comes down to expectations.
>
> The newbie just expects the basics to be the same and is caught out when
> they're not. Kind of like moving to a different country [as I've done
> several times] - it's not the things you get told about that catch you
> out - it's the little things you don't expect that get you. [F1 doesn't
> mean "help", for example].

It's also things that most of us that have been around for a while don't even
think about. Like using Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the desktop from the F1 (or
2, 3, 4, 5, 6) screen. I apologize again. I forgot to include that in the
reply that cost you the download.

> Maybe the helpful answerers expect things too.
> Someone suggested [I'm sorry, I don't know who - Evolution is acting up
> again: emails open up with blank windows - but that's a topic for
> another thread] that I try "locate", but when I do, all I get is
> "command not found". And "man locate" gets me "No manual entry for
> locate". All I'm saying is, clearly the answerer in that case expected I
> would have "locate" installed already...

$locate
Secure Locate 2.7 - Released January 24, 2003

Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, 2001 Kevin Lindsay & Netnation Communications Inc. &
James A. Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

search usage:   locate [-qi] [-d <path>] [--database=<path>] <search
string>...
                locate [-r <regexp>] [--regexp=<regexp>]
database usage: locate [-qv] [-o <file>] [--output=<file>]
                locate [-e <dir1,dir2,...>] [-f <fs_type1,...> ] [-l <level>]
                       [-c] <[-U <path>] [-u]>
general usage:  locate [-Vh] [--version] [--help]

   -u                 - Create slocate database starting at path /.
   -U <dir>           - Create slocate database starting at path <dir>.
   -c                 - Parse original GNU Locate's '/etc/updatedb.conf'
                        when using the -u or -U options.  If 'updatedb' is
                        symbolically linked to the 'locate' binary, the
                        original configuration file will automatically be
                        used.
   -e <dir1,dir2,...> - Exclude directories from the slocate database when
                        using the -u or -U options.
   -f <fs_type1,...>  - Exclude file system types from the slocate database
                        when using the -u or -U options. (ie. NFS, etc).
   -l <level>         - Security level.
                           0 turns security checks off. This will make
                             searchs faster.
                           1 turns security checks on. This is the default.
   -q                 - Quiet mode.  Error messages are suppressed.
   -n <num>           - Limit the amount of results shown to <num>.
   -i                 - Does a case insensitive search.
   -r <regexp>
   --regexp=<regexp>  - Search the database using a basic POSIX regular
                        expression.
   -o <file>
   --output=<file>    - Specifies the database to create.
   -d <path>
   --database=<path>  - Specfies the path of databases to search in.
   -h
   --help             - Display this help.
   -v
   --verbose          - Verbose mode. Display files when creating database.
   -V
   --version          - Display version.