Anne Wilson wrote:

On Tuesday 23 Sep 2003 9:19 pm, rikona wrote:

Hello Anne,

Monday, September 22, 2003, 12:31:31 AM, you wrote:

AAW> Don't want to rain on your parade, rikona, but 'natural
language' AW> searches never seemed to give me answers either.

It is VERY likely that your "natural language" search was nothing
at all like what I am proposing. Just because you can type in a
regular sentence into a search engine means almost nothing. It may
only remove the 'noise' words and look for others, perhaps even
with an 'and' between them. Yech.

For starters, I am talking about a help system that uses a
thesaurus to translate between the 'natural language' words and the
'jargon' used in the docs. The system also understands 'help' ideas
such as 'how do I' etc. Other ideas are also used, such as
clustering. It is not just a simple search.

Also note that almost all inquiries here need more info in addition
to the original question. The system must be interactive to be
really useful. After the first request, the system then makes a
request for more info, just as happens on this list. Based on this
improved 'understanding' of the problem, solutions are then
offered. If need be, these can be further refined.

AW> Back again, I think, to the fact that no search can give an
answer AW> that isn't in  the docs,

It may be in the docs, but not in a form that is readily accessible
by a simple search.

AW> the docs are written by those who didn't need to ask

True. :-)

It's an interesting proposition, but not an overnight job, I think <g> I'll look forward to seeing that in a future Mandrake release?

I'm looking forward to strong AI ;-)

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533