David E. Fox wrote:

when it comes up, in rescue mode, type: chroot /mnt

I"m not certain that's going to work... what is actually mounted at that point? His root partition? What chroot does is to change the
root partition basically. Putting in "NEWROOT" is just a sample place, it's not meant to be taken literally. It's more like a variable.

Eric, have you tried booting into failsafe mode? It's one of the choices on your menu, or at least it should be there. failsafe will put
the box in single user mode (essentially the same thing as 'linux single'
(which may not work.)

Once you're in single user mode, you should be able to change the password for root 'passwd root' type the same password in twice, and then telinit 3 and login as root.

Eric

David,

I can't say for certain how it works with the newer mandrake
but going into rescue mode used to mount all the linux partitions under /mnt
so chroot mnt (or doing it from the menu) essentially mounted all your partitions as per normal.
you essentially have your full system back with the exception that its running the kernel from the CDROM.

rgds

Franki

--
Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com, Free web developer resources.