Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Saturday 25 October 2003 02:11 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 25 Oct 2003 6:37 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:

Let me add some caution here.

I'm not out to cause scaremongering - the opposite in fact,

but I do think it's wise to say on the TWiki that if you have one of these drives it is better to wait until the issue is resolved or stated to be unresolvable before installing 9.2. Perhaps you would like to have a go at wording that?

Anne

Well, so I'll say this newbie user TWiki is redundant, loaded with marginal solutions. Often wrong or not useable for all. That's why I haven't contributed. Better wicki's are already provided by Mandrake or Google. Not too mention there's always dozens of ways to solve problems or situations under Linux. And some of 'em are very short lived. As is most current hardware.

"wait until the issue is resolved or stated to be unresolvable before installing 9.2" is cozy, but it doesn't address the problem of people willing to pays lots, for $4 win hardware cdroms an ready made computers that sport them.

Tom my man, you may have been on cooker for too long dude.. Most people already have their CDROM be it a 4 dollor POC or not..

Not telling people that mandrake will fry their drive is NOT gonna help mandrakes public opinion.
What you say is entirely true, I have worked at the manufacturer level so I know you are right..

we are not dealing with hardcore's and we are not dealing with cookers, we are dealing with newbies..
most are considering a change and have only a basic knowledge of what a cdrom is and does..

Personally I think a hack should be made by mandrake and added to the boot kernel to detect the LG units and give a warning.
Its gonna bite them on the ass otherwise.

Address the issue of hardware without trashing peoples cdroms and your more likely to see some effect...

Whats next? having linux fry winmodems? winprinters ? Western Digital hard disks?? as much as I'd like to say thats a good idea.
considering mandrakes finiancial position I have to say its not.

rgds

Franki

--
Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com, Free web developer resources.