Title: RE: XF86Config-4 and nvidia drivers Re: [newbie] upgrading nvidia kernel in a safe way...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of H.J.Bathoorn
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 11:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XF86Config-4 and nvidia drivers Re: [newbie] upgrading
nvidia kernel in a safe way...

On Thursday 18 December 2003 16:31, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >Here is the relevant section in mine:
> >
> >Section "Device"
> >    Identifier "device1"
> >    VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
> >    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
> >    Driver "nvidia"
> >    Option "DPMS"
> >EndSection
> >
> >you mean I should change Driver "nvidia" to Driver "nv"???
> >What's the difference?
>
> That's right

Actually it's not right (but not wrong, either) "nv" is the generic nvidia-
driver that comes with XFree86. "nvidia" is the proprietary driver delivered
by Nvidia themselves and uses the kernel module.

"nv" works quite well but doesn't offer hardware acceleration.
If the existing XFRee86Config-4 says "nvidia" and you've got X going, means
you installed the kernel-drivers and are using them.
If it doesn't work you can always use "nv" which doesn't require extra
drivers.

Good luck,
HarM
--
Registered Linux User #197998
FSF Associate Member #901

With the proprietary driver you also need "Load "glx" " in the section that has all the Load script. HTH