On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 07:00, George P. Stathis wrote:

Firstly, please lose the "Reply-to" address. It causes replies to go
directly to you rather than the list.  Thanks.

> When I open my KDE control center, the release number
> is 2.4.22-10mdk and the machine is i686.

OK, that is the standard kernel that comes with 9.2 on the disks.  Even
though your machine is a x686, the rpms you're using are compiled for x586
and makes no difference.

Just FYI, it is possible to compile all rpms for x686 but not only does it
take a very long time, there is little or no performance gain.  So just
stick with x586 rpms.

> The source rpm that I had already found was called
> "kernel-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm".

That is NOT the package you want.  That is a source rpm that you have to
rebuild.

> The FTP link that you sent is for i596. I looked in
> the RPMS folder and there is a file called
> "kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk.i586.rpm".
> How do I know which source is the right one for me?

Yep, this is the package you're after (kernel-source....).  Install this one
if you do not intend to first update your system.

> I have also been trying to get the Software Media
> Manager to recognize a local folder under root where I
> have been downloading the rpm files so that the
> packages show up in RpmDrake but without success. Does
> RpmDrake offer something better when compared to
> simply running the rpm packages standalone?

You can add sources using urpmi.addmedia at the command line.  Open a
terminal, su to root and type (ignore the "#", it merely denotes the root
console prompt):

synthesis/hdlist> ]

***EXAMPLE 1***
I have downloaded rpms which are stored in /shared/downloads/9_2/general.
There is no synthesis or hdlist for this directory of rpms:

#  urpmi.addmedia general file://shared/downloads/9_2/general/

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "general" source repository.

If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
Click "Add".
Select Type of Medium: "Local files"
Enter a name in Name:  eg. "general"
Click "Browse". Navigate to the directory containing your downloaded rpms.
Click "OK".

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "general" source repository.
                   ======================

***EXAMPLE 2***
I have downloaded all the security/bug fixes and the relative hdlist which
are stored in /shared/downloads/9_2/updates (hdlist.cz in same directory):

#  urpmi.addmedia --update updates file://shared/downloads/9_2/updates/ with
./hdlist.cz

The --update option tells urpmi and rpmdrake to treat this source as the
"update" source.  Rpmdrake will now list these under the "updates" source
repository.

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "updates" source repository.

If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
Click "Add".
Select Type of Medium: "Security updates"
The name "update_source" is automatically entered in the Name field.
Type in path to the directory containing the downloaded update rpms:
file://shared/downloads/9_2/updates
Tick the checkbox next to "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist:" and enter the
RELATIVE path to hdlist (in my case, same directory):
./hdlist.cz
Click OK

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "update_source" source repository.
                   ======================

***EXAMPLE 3***
To use an ftp updates mirror (make sure you are connected to the internet.):

#  urpmi.addmedia --update updates
ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/
with ../base/hdlist.cz

Wait while the list is downloaded.

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "updates" source repository.

If you prefer to use the gui Software Media Manager:
Click "Add".
Select Type of Medium: "Security updates"
The name "update_source" is automatically entered in the Name field.
Click "Choose a mirror", click "Yes" and select a mirror from the list.
Click "OK" and wait while the list is downloaded.

Rpmdrake will now list these under the "update_source" source repository.
                   ======================

There is a website that makes it very easy to find the various sources
(updates, contrib, plf, etc) and the relative commands for urpmi.  Check
out http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

> Sorry for the newbie questions...Linux is obviously
> not my main OS but I do need to use it for some
> academic development pusposes (that's why right now, I
> don't really need all the security updates, I just
> want that silly VMware to work).
>
> Thank you for your time!

No problemo!  We all have to start somewhere.  I've been using Linux for
2-1/2 years now and I'm still learning... gotta love it!

Sharrea

> --- Sharrea Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:50, George P. Stathis wrote:
> > > Here is finally my question: short of recompiling
> >
> > the kernel from the
> >
> > > source so that my running kernel matches the
> >
> > source, is there a way to
> >
> > > grab my current kernel configuration and pass it
> >
> > as a parameter to the
> >
> > > "make" command so that I can build the source
> >
> > files to reflect my exact
> >
> > > current configuration (version number included)?
> >
> > The kernel-source rpm is not included on the disks
> > for 9.2.  If you're using
> > one of the kernels on the 9.2 disks (ie. 2.4.22.10)
> > you can get the
> > kernel-source rpm from any MDK 9.2 tree mirror -
> > here's one:
>
> ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/R
>PMS/
>
> > Having said that, it would likely be best if you
> > updated your system first
> > which includes a kernel update to 2.4.22-21.  Bear
> > in mind that there have
> > been many security and bug fixes since 9.2 was
> > released so it may take a
> > while if you're on a dialup modem connection.
> >
> > Sharrea
> > --
> > Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a
> > friend today

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today