Well, first thing, what chipset is it?
what northbridge/southbridge chips..

Start by comparing that to existing intel boards..
find out if intel has any docs on those boards and linux on their site..

just a thought.

rgds

Franki

Marc wrote:

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 09:05 pm, Lee Wiggers wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:24:41 -0500

Carroll Grigsby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 11:03 am, William Warren wrote:

just from this post..it works with windows and not with
Linux..Bioses can be tied to windows and as part of the MS OEM
license that is what most large computer vendors do to get the
rock bottom pricing on windows.  Gateway only supports windows
and they do not and will not support Linux on that machine.  The
warranty states no third party software or hardware is not
supported and will not be supported by gateway.  Dell and most
other vendors have similar clauses in their warranty
agreements...they will not and do not have to replace anything
if it will run under windows.  the court case will go nowhere if
the case is based on the machines inability to run Linux.

FWIW, a brief search of Gateway's site led to over 100 how-to's related to installing Red Hat and Suse on their products, which suggests that Gateway has an awareness of Linux. I'm not familiar with the Gateway product line, so that it is quite possible that the references are to servers only. Marc, you might want to spend some time poking around on the Gateway site.

-- cmg

I've been somewhat half-assed following this thread, so feel free to slap me around if I missed it.

Has anyone asked Gateway for specific help?  Vendors are getting
better about Linux support.  Next year they'll be kissing up to us.

You could be a trend starter.

Lee

Yep I have spent a couple of hours on the phone to gateway and the actual owner of the machine has spent even more time than that. Bottom line they do not have a bios update for this machine and no one at gateway seems willing to get one. Some Gateway employes have tried to insist that ML 10.0 does not have the correct drivers for this MOBO and that is the problem. THAT IS NOT the problem! Other employes at gateway tried to claim that if it runs windoze there is not a hardware problem. I have dug around the gateway website and there IS NOT a bios update avalible for this mobo but I suspect that if I dig around the Intel web site that I may find one to work. Even though the information at the intel web site says that if it is a board that they made for a OEM they will offer NO support.

Marc

Marc

rgds

Frank Hauptle (aka Franki)

For free scripts, online webmaster tools, HTML, XHTML, Perl & PHP tutorials and stuff, visit:
http://htmlfixit.com Free web developer resources.

Please sign our petition to encourage notebook manufacturers to offer video card upgrades just like desktops.
http://www.petitiononline.com/inspiron/petition.html