On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 23:49, Lanman wrote:

> Stephen; No Prob. Took about 40 seconds to find the links. WooHoo! I was
> kinda surprised to see you asking about modem info, since I thought
> you'd already know about them. Guess I was right.

I do - up till MDK 9.1 and 9.2 - and the driver I have (from before MBSI
started charging a license for the damn driver) doesn't compile with
10.0 OE (which I'm trying to slowly upgrade to); although I might take
some time to sort through the source code for the driver and try to
figure out where they've put the "lock" to keep the speed at 14.4k for
data and fax - can't be that hard to find.

> If you go with an external modem, you should be able to find some nice
> ones out there, but even so, the fastest Fax you'll ever find is 19,600
> bps. They just don't make fax machines any faster than that, so that
> will be the best speed you'll ever get from the fax software.

Tina and I have thought it over and we're probably going to just get a
standard "off the shelf" 56k modem until the DSL stuff is ready; I've
been wanting to move completely away from dialup for quite some time,
but couldn't when I was still married - but Tina has the same needs as
me (high speed need!) so it's different this time around.

> Having a modem for faxing is probably a good idea, but as things are, i
> only use mine on my laptop when I'm out of town on Business. Even so, I
> make a point of making sure that the hotels I stay in have "data-ports"
> in the rooms.

I'd like to still have a modem so that I can "dial in" from remote (and
also have a BBS again - heheheh - dig that)

> Personally, I think that modem manufacturers are toning down their R&D
> efforts because of the availability of High-Speed solutions. That's
> probably the reason that their not breaking any records in releasing
> Linux drivers, too.
>
> Hope you're not too far away from a good DSL or Cable ISP down there.
>
> Good Luck with the driver project.
>
> Lanman

You're right about the manufacturers - they don't give a squat. They've
made their money offa Microsoft and don't want to spend the time nor the
effort on providing drivers for any other OS - sometimes including
MacOS...

Either which, the telephone exchange is less than a block away. That's
the route we're going to end up going.

stephen kuhn - proprietor