On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:41:52PM -0400, g2 wrote:
> folks,
>
> does anyone know of a program, hopefully, appropriate for a linux/mandrake
> newbie, that will send an email with the text content of a website I specify.
> I know there are various web based services that do this, however none that I
> have found meet my needs.  Specifically, the site that i need to track is a
> simple text page, which some of the web services can't seem to deal with, and
> I want to check it for changes often, like every 15 minutes, many only offer
> hourly or even daily checking.
> Any thoughts?

I can't help with an program that will email you, but did you know that
Mozilla/Firefox has a feature that will notify you if a bookmarked site you
specify is updated? Go to Manage Bookmarks, click the bookmark you're
interested in, click Properties, and check out Schedule and Nofify.

Also, it should be easy to write a bash script to do what you
want--retrieve the page with wget, compare it to the last version by
running diff or something, if there's no change do nothing, if there is
email yourself an alert.

Todd

--
Name that tune #13: When they said come down I threw up.