On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:47:26PM +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >>Is there some program to provide auto-completion for the command line
> >>(bash)?
> >>
> >What exactly are you looking for?
>
> Thanks, Mikkel. I looking for a way of getting auto-completion according
> to history. For instance, one types
>
> ftp ftp.in.nowhere.com
>
> and when, afterwards, one types
>
> ftp ftp.i
>
> the mechanism of auto-completion should write
>
> ftp ftp.in.nowhere.com
>
> for you.
>
> Is it clear now?
>
> Paul

Google is your friend.

The up arrow key will cycle through bash commands in history.

Contol+r start typing command will search bash history and autocomplete
for you.

See http://tinyurl.com/7xaxn which was found from
http://tinyurl.com/3sbp5.

--
Name that tune #11: What if the artists ran the TV, all the ads would be
for fine scotch whisky Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, the whole single malt