On Tuesday 31 August 2004 04:37 pm, charlie wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:30 am, Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> > On Tuesday 31 August 2004 03:01 pm, charlie wrote:
> > > I couldn't get the win modem to work because 9.2 didn't supply
> > > a kernel source and I am in very slow dial up. That is the problem with
> > > that lappy, no serial port. But someone posted something about a modem
> > > card that might be the way to go. But haven't investigated it as yet.
> > > Price is about $AU135.oo.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >
> > arrgggghhhhh....!  if australian dollars are anywhere close in value to
> > american dollars, then that price is awful!!!  check this out:
> >
> > http://www.meritline.com/zfm5600-v-92-56kb-fax-modem-pcmcia-pc-card.html
> >
> > and note at the bottom of the page thay have an aussie flag icon marked:
> >
> > 'Australia customers, click here.'  i've used this brand/model pcmcia
> > hardware modem with my toshiba laptop for several years now.
>
> Thanks Alan,
>
> I don't know anything about these cards, but read something about them on
> this or the expert list some time back.
>
> I looked at the above website and then moved to the one in OZ, but copying
> the exact name in had no results there, and also typing in pcmcia modem
> card had no result. So maybe there is something about the card that is not
> accepted in Oz. I have only ever found one, that being the one which I
> posted the price on.

that's certainly a bummer.  use froogle:

http://froogle.google.com/

and type in the search window:

australia pcmcia 56k modem

then in the list that results (i got over 800 hits), look for 56k pcmcia
modems that are priced better than $130.  the before purchase, verify with
the seller that it is, in fact, a hardware modem, and not a winmodem,
softmodem, hfc modem etc.  good luck and be careful, caveat emptor!

--
Alan